iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yumm..stuff

Started by Bibbyman, June 24, 2004, 07:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Well,  if we can have yucstuff then we can have Yumm..suff.

I remember back to my Aunt Ruby's big sugar cookies and how good they were.  It almost made the extra five miles a day I had to walk worth it.  

See,  we lived about a half mile from the one-room school I attended but because there was nobody home before school and after school,  I had to go down to my Uncle Roy and Aunt Ruby's house.  And that was about 2 miles further from school than our house.  So every morning one of my folks would drive me down there and I'd walk to school (right past our house) with Cousins Donna, and Billy.  Then when school was out,  walk past our house again to Uncle Roy and Aunt Ruby's.  

Anyway,  Aunt Ruby would have something good for us to eat when we got there.  A couple times a week it would be these big sugar cookies.  I'm sure she made them so often she didn't even need a recipe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Rocky_J

I guess they figgered that if you was walkin', you wasn't gettin in trouble! Helped ya work up an appetite, also.  ;D

CHARLIE

Tom's and my Yumm..stuff was Grandmama's homemade bread. All the neighbor children would be playing in our backyard and Grandmama would call us all into the kitchen for some hot, fresh out of the oven homemade bread. We'd cut thick slices and put lots of butter on it. Several loaves were gone in a flash! I have often wondered if she saved a loaf from us for my Grandaddy. Otherwise he would have never gotten any.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

My Grandma Warden, born in the 1880's,  never really converted to 20'th century living.  She lived more of her years in a dirt-floor cabin than a house with a floor. Even in the later years when her house had electricity,  she still cooked on a wood cookstove.

I remember well her making egg noodles by pitching some ingredients in a bowl and making the dough, rolling it out and cutting it into wide thick strips.  I'm sure nothing was measured as she could not read or write.

Going out for chicken wasn't a run to KFC,  it was grabin' the ax and heading out to the back yard to catch an old hen.  
Sawing since '94

dail_h

Tea cakes, and okra stew
   The tea cakes made by my sisterinlaw's grandmother,best I ever ate
   Okra stew ,made by my dad's sisters,I'de eat it until I hurt as a kid,sure do miss it now
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Lots of folks still use the old Enterprise cook stoves up here bibby. My uncle does in the winter months and he wants to buy a new one, The Monarch model. His cousin comes up from NS in the winter to stay at her fathers old place. Its actually my great grandfather's place on mother's side. I'm livin in great grandfather's place on Dad's, mom's side. Well, anyway, she has an older Monarch and cooks on it some in winter months. Them stoves feel real nice up here in cold winter in those old kitchens. :D. A new Monarch is about $4000 CDN.

Monarch by Enterprice Foundary in Sackville, NB
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Rice pudding with rasins... oooooh yea
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

That's an oldie, but a goodie. Grandfather used to eat that like it was going outta style. ;) Rice pudding and raisens I mean. ;D

Ck's steak looks mighty tempting too. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Oh yeah! .....and Bread puddin' ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

I took an interest in cooking when I was a teenager. Mom was such a great cook, she was from South Carolina, that I wanted to be able to create some of her wonderful dishes. I asked her to write down some of her recipes in a notebook. In that noteboodk are recipes for many great things including rice pudding and bread pudding. Unfortunatly I just can't make it like she did.

Egg custard is another one, oh man I'm gettin hungry.

did I mention peach cobbler?

SwampDonkey

My uncle will eat about anything. Some of you folks down south that want to hunt bear should stop by and make him eat them grits. He wouldn't eat'm if we made'm , that nose would curl up to his eye brows followed with a yuck sound :D. But, for some reason he'll try some of them crazy camp dishes the bear hunters put in front of him. And by the look of his ponch he hasn't missed too many meals. Grand father said it was better to keep a pig, at least ya had something in the fall and winter for meat. That's sinful talkin about pour uncle that way. :D :D

Cedarman

I've always thought that all food is good, some is better than other.  Your posts just make my mouth water, it alllll looks gooooood!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

This thread got me to thinking about a post I made very early on on the FF.  Maybe some of the newer members haven't went back that far.  Maybe some that have read it would like to go back for a re-run (or would it be "left-overs"?).  

Best meal I ever ate

Anyway,  this thread - "A funny story" and "Old(er) folks" are chucked full of great stories.  Thanks Tom for starting them.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

I ain't much for cakes......'cept a good cheesecake, but I just love pies and cobblers.  Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie but I won't pass up a custard pie, a good tart apple pie or dang near any fruit pie that ain't overly sweet. And cobblers?  I just plain love'em.  Nothing like a peach cobbler and a glass of cold milk.  Mmmmmmmmm Mm!  Now that's good eatin'! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

You can't beat a big thick slice of Grandmom's plain ol' Pound Cake.   Something really rich without being covered up with gooey icing or fruit or any other disguising concoction.

Jeff

One of my favorite quick treats is grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Tastes like a dessert. :)  Gotta be Jif peanut butter though.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR Buck

Talk about Yumm stuff cooked on wood... :)     This stove came from a cabin in PA  mountains owned by the father of a couple guys I used to hunt with in the 60's as a kid.  We had many a good meal cooked on it.  It also provided plenty of heat to keep us warm.  

Story is that they found this stove in a junk store back in the late 40's when the cabin was built.   I inherited it about 10 years ago when the father passed away and the cabin was sold.   Best part is my great grandfathers company built it and it has my family name on it. 8)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Haytrader

How neat Dr Buck,

You are the envy of the neighborhood.

That is a very special stove to you, I am sure. And it looks to be in really good condition. Thanks for givin us a peak.

:)
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

Dr. Buck.

Your stove with all the nickle is really close to the Monarch by Enterprise in my thread above (click the link at bottom of post) . The monarch has a warming closet up top and a hot water tank resevoir on the right-hand side. ;D

DR Buck

SwampDonkey,

As the story goes, this one should have a warming closet also.  Supposedly, they guy that owned the "junk" store didn't know where it was at the time this one was bought.

It does have a hot water circulation loop within the left side firebox.  I remember at one time that being operational.

We currently have it set up in the entry way to our house as a centerpiece.  Wife has it decorated with plants and knick knacks.

BTW--  I have a copy of the original advertisement for the complete stove.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pappy

enough said for yum stuff :D :D :D :D :D

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

Sweet Potato Pone, like pie but with no crust. Man that's good!

OneWithWood

A real treat for us when we were growing up was when dad would bring home a can of 'Boston Brown Bread'.  He would heat it up by steaming then open both ends of the can and slide the bread out.  Smothered in fresh butter it was so good  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Rocky_J

My 'Yummm Stuff' today is yummy homemade spaghetti from my sister. It is especially yummy because she not only made it for me, but she drove over to my house and hand delivered it! Two extra yummies because she had my two neices with her, and it was the first time they had seen my house.
 :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!