iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tk add ons

Started by dean herring, July 28, 2015, 09:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I found a 2010 tk 1600, 80 hrs. Been under shed,looks like new. It doesn't have a hydraulic log clamp or setworks. My question is, is this mill capable of these being added. Thanks for any info. Dean
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

dean herring

Has anyone here ever added setworks to an older mill.

bama20a

Sorry I can't help with your question,But if you would call TK, they will help you.I called once & they are real helpful. Even sent me an owner manual at no charge.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

sandsawmill14

Quote from: bama20a on July 31, 2015, 10:04:57 PM
Sorry I can't help with your question,But if you would call TK, they will help you.I called once & they are real helpful. Even sent me an owner manual at no charge.

x2 on how helpful tk is  they treated us like we bought a new mill when we bought our b20 last fall :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

dean herring

Thanks for advice. That's what I did and I agree they could not have been any nicer.
Trying to decide whether to buy older mill and add setworks and hyd. clamp or go with new mill.Any opinoins welcomed.

dean herring

Just how important is setworks and are they really accurate?

Magicman

Very important to production and accurate sawing.  I did not say that it could not be done, but to me very important.  Without setworks, I would quit sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

Currently Iam running with out setworks on my B 20 I've done it before for 6 months. It takes some getting use too but I think it's benifical to learn your manual skills. That way you can keep track of accurate cutting of your set works. I trust it but sooner or later it needs fiddling with. Currently mine is out of operation need to send it in.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

dean herring

Thanks Magicman and Redbeard.

Will_Johnson

Hi Dean:

Welcome to the TK family!

The set works is fairly straight-forward to add.

The clamp not so much. It requires an additional hydraulic valve at the operator station and, more challenging, hoses in the energy chain. The energy chain on this model was not designed to accommodate more hoses, which means it needs to be replaced. The energy chain tray was not designed to accommodate bigger chain so it needs to be enlarged. Each of these adds time, expense and complication. I would think you could find a good used 1600 with the more up-to-date features you want.

In fact I believe we have a customer with one for sale who is looking to upgrade to a 2000. You might give Matt a call about this as that's a little out of my daily bailiwick. My job is to just push my pencil back and forth across my desk all day. (You younger guys may not know what a pencil is. Google it for a little history lesson...)

Will_Johnson

Oops -- I was right about the mill but wrong about the clamp on it -- it also has the old style...

sandsawmill14

i am sawing without setworks and dont mind it at all after 3 months of. when we got our mill the setworks was dead so instead of just ordering new one from timberking i decided to custom build setworks that are similar to what would be on big automatic circle mill. had any thickness of lumber any commercial cant size with touch screen to operate it. it was super nice except for one thing it might work 3 days or 3 weeks then it lock up and would have to restart computer. we fooled with it a couple of months and i just cut it off and went back manual. we installed a switch to switch back and forth between auto and manual but i dont even miss it know ;D 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

kensfarm

Picture is worth a 1000 words.  :) 

kensfarm

Mine is the simple setworks..  select size.. select start position.. (cut, return,  hit autodown.. )  repeat. 

ladylake

Nice pics, sure is nice to have a head that goes up-down really fast like the new TK mills have for sawing through a cant like that.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dean herring

Thanks Will,that post has helped me make my decision. Where do I find Mat.

4x4American

Call up TK and ask for Matt.  ;)

For the highest production possible, setworks are key.  If production isn't essential, than you might be fine without. 
Boy, back in my day..

kensfarm

Thanks Steve..  I think the slowest part of the mill is me!  ;D

A not so good picture of the simple setworks.. it's small.. behind the level and covered w/ ziplock bag.   

DDW_OR

I have had my TK-2000 for a couple of years now and i LOVE IT.
Setworks = 9 out of 10. i now have an error 2. will be sending Matt an email. will post result here.
Remote throttle = 8 out of 10. needs to move slower by 15%
Hydraulics = 8 out of 10.
log loader = 9 out of 10. needs to lift new log about 2 inches higher to have it role onto the bed without help.
log turner = 9 out of 10. has trouble rolling LARGE logs, 32 inch by 18 foot.
toe board 8 out of 10. rams need to be moved more to the log stops to prevent twisting of toe boards.
Log stops = 9 out of 10.
Log clamp = 9 out of 10.

FYI, no mill is a 10 out of 10. there are always room for improvement.
now looking at how to do a dust collector system. 55 gallon barrel is not enough.
"let the machines do the work"

thecfarm

DDW_OR,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Put some 2x6 blocking underneath the log loader arm bases, there's your two inches.  Dual chain turners would be nice.  Welcome to the forum.
Boy, back in my day..

dean herring

Thanks for all of the input it has been very  helpful.
Found a 2013 tk 1600  with only 10 hrs. New auto sharpner and setter still in the box.
Hope to go get it this week.  Can't wait to get started

DDW_OR

For now it is working.
Turned Setworks on, pressed set home, moved string-cable that senses head up-down and the Setworks display changed.
Then turned Setworks off. turned engine on, turned  Setworks on. Pressed "set home". Used lever to raise and lower head. Setworks display changed to reflect current height of blade.
Changed preset 1 to one inch. Raised head to 24 inches. Checked blade height. Was 24 inches above deck.
Then proceeded to do "auto saw down" then "auto saw up" several times. Blade height was not accurate. then remembered that the hydraulics need to be warmed up. So I then ran the carriage down the 21 feet to the end and back 2 times. Then re-did the down-up test and found it to be accurate.

Matt at TK stated that they some times see an Error 2 on new machines. Mine had 59 hours on it. Matt stated the probable causes of an Error 2 could be, loose wire connection inside connecter, or relays in the Setworks sticking. Or wire connections to the up-down hydraulic solenoids.
I think the problem may have happened when I had the Return set to 23 inches and I had raised the head to its max height, then pressed "auto saw" up or down I cannot remember. The Setworks then displayed Error 2 and lowered the head to 23 inches and stopped working.

In conclusion I believe the problem to be a combination of operator error and software error.

How do i add photos?

Magicman

QuoteHow do i add photos?
A picture posting tutorial is on the bottom of the index page.  If you need further help, then ask.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDW_OR

this is a copy of the email from Mike at TimberKing

From your description yesterday, it sounds like your setworks is now working correctly.

I do still recommend (as I indicated to you on the phone yesterday) a thorough disassembly/inspection/cleaning of the three M12 connectors, as well as the connections in the electro/hydraulic solenoid valve, and the terminal strip inside the setworks box.

If the problem re-accrues then i will do this. For now i need the mill to cut lumber for a shelter for the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!