iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

maybe it will work out for you :)
it could very well be the blade i would try a different  blade and see if that fixed it you can always put the blade back on later if it turns out not to be the problem
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

beenthere

Quoteif you look closely in the pics you can see what I am talking about.

Wallee
Point out the pic that we should look closely at, just so we know which one for sure you mean.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

You can dull a blade in one pass.  Another way to tell is by looking at the teeth.  A dull tooth will shine, or have a peened over corner.  Sharp has a black line.  That goes with anything from your pocket knife to your chainsaw. 

If you're looking for a good logger, get on facebook and join logging and forestry community group (add me first, then I can add you in, its a closed group)  another one you can join is eastern loggers, or loggers of the east.  Alot of folks on there always posting throughout the day, I've gotten logs that way before I'm sure it could work for you. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Wallee on September 29, 2015, 11:34:48 PMNoticed when I was cutting that cedar the other day it was kinda cutting a bit wavy or rather not so smooth,
You do not have a good closeup picture but what I am seeing is some tooth marks indicating that you have a tooth out of set on the blade.   Notice that every time that tooth comes around it leaves an uneven mark and the distance apart is determined by your feed speed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on September 30, 2015, 09:16:30 AM
Quote from: Wallee on September 29, 2015, 11:34:48 PMNoticed when I was cutting that cedar the other day it was kinda cutting a bit wavy or rather not so smooth,
You do not have a good closeup picture but what I am seeing is some tooth marks indicating that you have a tooth out of set on the blade.   Notice that every time that tooth comes around it leaves an uneven mark and the distance apart is determined by your feed speed.
This man here has a sharp eye! I noticed when I was running it, that I could change the spacing if I ran the saw head faster or slower. Experience is a great thing Magicman, and I appreciate you educating me!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on September 30, 2015, 09:00:31 AM
You can dull a blade in one pass.  Another way to tell is by looking at the teeth.  A dull tooth will shine, or have a peened over corner.  Sharp has a black line.  That goes with anything from your pocket knife to your chainsaw. 

If you're looking for a good logger, get on facebook and join logging and forestry community group (add me first, then I can add you in, its a closed group)  another one you can join is eastern loggers, or loggers of the east.  Alot of folks on there always posting throughout the day, I've gotten logs that way before I'm sure it could work for you.
what's your name on fb? I will add you!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on September 30, 2015, 09:16:30 AM

Agreed.  That's not a wavy cut, that's a tooth issue.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Wallee

So, here is the happenings around the mill this evening. I was having trouble with the way my dead deck was set up. It would fall as it was just sitting on top of some blocks. So I concreted in these today at 2' deep with 80# of quickcrete. Finishing them up tomorrow with some bolts and bracing!

Then I finally tackled completely going through and leveling the mill out. After deck is back up tomorrow I hope to cut some and see if I have finally tamed this beast lol!!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on October 01, 2015, 07:25:09 AM
You are on the right track.
Thanks guys, as far as the bed goes, it has never been more level! So I am hoping she will cut perfect!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Cut the biggest pine so far on the mill yesterday 27" on the but end. Not huge but big as I have cut on this little mill yet.

Deck is way better concreted in!

Wallee

Brought a load of wood into the mill today. Mostly pine, a few oak sticks and some hackberry I think??!! Someone fill me in on what those rough things are lol.

beenthere

QuoteSomeone fill me in on what those rough things are lol.

The rough things ??  Firewood prolly the wrong answer..  ;D ;D

Those rough bark ridges on some logs do look like they be hackberry.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Ha ha I thought so! They are 9" maybe 10" dia so maybe they will take it for pallet stock!

WDH

Actually, they are probably sugarberry.  Practically indistinguishable from hackberry except for site and geographic location.  The boards will warp just as bad, too :D.  If this is your first time sawing hackberry/sugarberry, get ready for a stressful experience, as in stress in the log.  Drying that stuff straight is even more stressful  :)

gfadvm

Quote from: WDH on October 03, 2015, 08:12:50 PM
Actually, they are probably sugarberry.  Practically indistinguishable from hackberry except for site and geographic location.  The boards will warp just as bad, too :D.  If this is your first time sawing hackberry/sugarberry, get ready for a stressful experience, as in stress in the log.  Drying that stuff straight is even more stressful  :).

Danny, My standing dead hackberry slabs and the ones from live logs that I let lay for 9-10 months are still drying very well: no cup, twist, or bowing. My best friends son just did all the woodwork in his new house with some of my spalted hackberry: stairs, countertops, etc. His builder really liked working with it. Oklahoma hackberry may just behave better than Georgia sugarberry:)

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on October 03, 2015, 08:12:50 PM
Actually, they are probably sugarberry.  Practically indistinguishable from hackberry except for site and geographic location.  The boards will warp just as bad, too :D.  If this is your first time sawing hackberry/sugarberry, get ready for a stressful experience, as in stress in the log.  Drying that stuff straight is even more stressful  :).

Ha ha oh no! Well I will say the persimmin I cut a while back was useless lol. It dried pretty wrecked.

WDH

Quote from: gfadvm on October 03, 2015, 08:36:53 PM
Oklahoma hackberry may just behave better than Georgia sugarberry:)

Andy,

I believe that you are right.  Also, the smaller logs that I have sawn seem to be much worse than the large logs. 

Magicman

Smaller logs give the most misery regardless of the species.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Quote from: WDH on October 04, 2015, 07:23:38 AM
Quote from: gfadvm on October 03, 2015, 08:36:53 PM
Oklahoma hackberry may just behave better than Georgia sugarberry:)

Andy,

I believe that you are right.  Also, the smaller logs that I have sawn seem to be much worse than the large logs.

My hackberry is mostly in the 14-24" diameter range. The smaller stuff just doesn't seem to sell nearly as well so it becomes BTUs in the wood stove.

Thank You Sponsors!