iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of my one-man operation

Started by Verticaltrx, December 06, 2015, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verticaltrx

Since everyone likes pics I thought I'd snap a couple during this nice weather we've been having. I've been milling 2x8x17' rafters and 2x10x16' beams for a shed I'm building. Took about 6hrs to mill that in the pics, around 1300 bf I think. Couple pics of my humble little operation:

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

customdave

Looks like your hanin fun makin sawdust, play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

YellowHammer

Nice outfit.  Looks like a beautiful place.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Quote from: Verticaltrx on December 06, 2015, 10:48:36 PM
Couple pics of my humble little operation:

Now wait a minute here. A "humble" opertaion with a skidsteer AND a grapple on it too!!!! I would call that a handy operation you there. ;D Looks like white pine to me. Take some pictures of the building too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Looks pretty DanG good to me.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

The weather looks very nice as does your pile, I'd say you did well for 6 hours, have have that wmz'r chunking out some fine looking lumber!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Verticaltrx

Thanks for everyone's kind replies. The weather has been quite mild here this fall, but I'm not complaining. ;D

The aforementioned shed is for a customer and will be a 32x14 tractor shed with enclosed tool room on one end. I'm milling everything except the treated stuff, all will be EWP. I still need to mill some 2x4x16's, some 1x6 purlins and a bunch of 1" siding. I got several logs decked up this weekend in preparation for the skid steer being gone (had to take it to the building site for excavating, hole drilling and material handling duties.) I'll try to remember to snap some pics of the shed when it's done.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

isawlogs

Weather has been really mild here this fall also, no complaints about that here either!    :D

Nice job! 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

drobertson

too bad we can't control the weather as much as the quality of lumber,,  nice whack,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

prittgers

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Verticaltrx

As requested, pics of what the lumber was used for:

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Bruno of NH

Looks good a well built shed .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GDinMaine

Very nice setup and a handsome building.  What size is the lean-to and and the storage?
And yes.  That skid-steer is like .... well ... cheating. :D
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Very nice, and a good job on dirt grading, too.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Verticaltrx

Thanks

The shed is 14' deep plus a ~3' front overhang, 32' wide, 2:12 pitch on the main roof and about 4.5:12 pitch on the front. The big bay is 16' wide and the smaller bay and the tool room are each 8' wide.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Verticaltrx

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 23, 2015, 07:11:41 PM
Very nice, and a good job on dirt grading, too.

He said it ;D :
Quote from: GDinMaine on December 23, 2015, 06:57:00 PM
That skid-steer is like .... well ... cheating. :D

I excavated the site and did the finish grading in less than an hour, I don't know how I ever got by before having a skid steer. I used to use a loader tractor with a box blade for this type of work and it would have taken me a better part of the day to do that.

Both the skidsteer and sawmill have been very good investments for my business.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

GDinMaine

I hear skidsteers are hard to beat when the conditions are right. It was my envy side talking.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

kelLOGg

I like that horizontal skirting with treated wood at the bottom. I'm going to pass that idea on to customer.
Thanks,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

richhiway

Nice work. Is that a treated timber foundation? How deep is the first tie?
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Verticaltrx

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 24, 2015, 11:45:11 AM
I like that horizontal skirting with treated wood at the bottom. I'm going to pass that idea on to customer.
Thanks,
Bob

Quote from: richhiway on December 25, 2015, 08:24:22 PM
Nice work. Is that a treated timber foundation? How deep is the first tie?

The treated lumber around the bottom is three 2x6's, first one is at ground level or an inch or two below. Depending on the shed design and the type of siding I like to put a treated band around the bottom (or white oak/locust if using all native lumber) ranging from 1' to 2' high. This keeps the siding away from ground moisture and splashing rain and provides something sturdy at ground level. Generally pine and poplar siding get a 18-24" band, white oak siding just gets one 2x12 as a bottom band.  The grade is sloped away from the shed around the back for 5-6' before it meets the bank.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

krayzie8rt1

Hudson Oscar 236, 24' homemade trailer, Logrite 48" & 30", Stilh  290, Hudson debarker, Allis Calmers D14 w/ loader, bobcat 185 with grapple bucket, bobcat 435 excavator with thumb

Rigg

That looks great!  Wish I had one like that.  Question though. 

Will the boards shrink much and if so do you come back with battens?
Frick 00, International UD-14A

Thank You Sponsors!