iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack S

Sorry No drumroll from this member. Been a month and you have not made a final report on the hydraulic pump issue. Especially after all the words of wisdom from so many fellow members.  

barbender

Jack, he put a new pump drive motor on it.
Too many irons in the fire

Jack S

Mr. Barbender you are totally right. BUT that doesnt resolve giving back to the forum exactly what failed on the original pump that the Ojarhead was asking help for in diagnosing. I'm sure that I am not the only one out there that is still waiting for the answer.

As you must know this happens way to often. A poster asks for help gets help  Their problem gets resolved  but we never get the results that would help future issues as you know. Thats why we are here to help others right?  

Anybody can replace parts. My motto has always been why did the part fail. 

ladylake

Way too many have a problem, get it fixed and you never hear back from them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I also realize that Jarhead has been busy and I don't know if he has had time to tear the original down, or drop it off at a motor shop. He replaced the bad part, and then he found other parts that were bad that contributed to the original problem. Should he have taken the time he spent getting his mill running, and instead spent it tearing into a motor that he already replaced? That motor would not be a top priority for me if I was in his shoes.

A simple, "Hey Jarhead, please let is know what you figure out if you get your original motor repaired please?" would suffice. 

Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

Hey Folks, sorry for not being here!  Between work and we'll work I've been too busy to tear open the pump but plan on doing just that.

This last week I took a week to go to the cabin and get some trees down and do some milling ( no internet) and planned on giving a full report but just haven't had the chance.

We got back last night and I'm just now trying to catch up online.

I personally suspect the brushes on the old motor but have yet to take it out of the box.

Meanwhile the mill is down again, this time running too rich (I think) so I won't be milling until that is fixed as well.

More to come I promise!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

On a side note I replaced the following:

1. Contact block
2. Pump motor
3. oil and filter
4. reservoir cap
5. sequencing valves (2)

I plan to dig into the motor soon but my day job is slowing that down considerably. 

Now I will do a complete service before trying to diagnose what I think is a rich running condition and hope is not oil burning 😞

OlJarhead

Didn't get many pics of our week at the cabin (though of course I did video - even still, I didn't video the early days) but here are a couple -- we're SORE but happy :D

OlJarhead

oh and the laser? lol no worky when the sun shiney

Peter Drouin

Try some seafoam in the gas. The stuff is amazing. Everything will run better, gas or diesel. Un stick every thing.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Is that the stuff used for boats?  I'll have to try it.  First time this has happened to me

doc henderson

It also preserves fuel.  I add it to all my 5 gallon cans when I go get gas so it is in there and mixed.  not to the chainsaw gas, cause it is av fuel 100 0ctane, and it gets stihl oil mix that also preserves.  no alcohol, and a tiny bit-o-lead.

there is an aerosol for top end stuff, and a container that says trucks ect., but it is just a bigger can.  I get a flat of 6 cans when I get it.  it has different concentrations for the level of cleaning that is needed.  It makes the exhaust a little white and smells at higher concentrations.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

as usual, you guys are awesome and I hope it helps!  

Since I am still at work (had last week off) for another 19 weeks or so, my Monday  thru Thursdays are basically short so I hope to get filters etc and this stuff so I can do maintenance next weekend!

I sure hope it's a simple fix because I am struggling to keep up with demand and work as it us.

I am almost ready to find someone local to come mill som logs for me!

In fact if you are close enough and not already too busy PM me and maybe I can give up some work.

MattM

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 30, 2023, 04:36:33 PM
oh and the laser? lol no worky when the sun shiney
How many mW was the laser you got?
LT35HDG25

OlJarhead

20mw and Green

I was planning on the final adjustment this past week with the mill at the cabin but as soon as I tried it out I could see it wasn't going to work with sun shining directly on that side of the log.  Maybe if it was in the shade, or adjusted to see the face but down the log it was a no go in the sun.

TimW

I put StaBil in all my gasoline and Power Service in all my diesels.

My annual cranking up of my tiller takes one pull to start.  Sometimes two.  I usually can start my Honda powered water pump on one pull, after it has set for many months.
I run the StaBil on pump gas in my Stihl's also.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

OlJarhead

Ya I usually add StaBil to my small engines or any gas I store.  The mill the fuel normally isn't in it long enough to worry ;) But maybe it was this year.

My honda ATV at the cabin get's Stabil treated fuel as it sits all the time and funny thing, after 15 years it still starts right up when it's needed :D

With luck and some good advice here, I'll be back to milling again soon!  I have plenty of work lined up if I could just get away from the day job long enough to do it!

Hilltop366

The first thing I would check assuming it is a carb and not EFI would be that the choke is in the off position of course but also check in the carb it self that the choke flap is actually fully open and also check the air filter. If no joy there the next place to look would be at the carb float, needle & seat for dirt, sticking or worn parts. If the tank is above the carb it would likely keep feeding fuel in the engine (unless shut off) and cause other problems like flooding on startup or locked up when trying to start as well as gas in engine oil which will raise oil level on dip stick.

OlJarhead

I wish it was a carb engine but it's EFI (unless I'm having a brain fart).

A choke stuck would definitely do that (I've rebuilt my share of carbs too though mostly SU's) as would clogged air filter but I don't think it's the filter since blowing it out didn't make a difference.  I'll run through all of the above and then see where that leads me.

It also got worse from the start.  I milled 3 logs, and it was running 'ok' but clearly with something going on at idle so I thought "blow out the air filters, check the oil and see what that does" -- all the above checked, done etc and it started good, and I thought "right on, let's get milling!" and then it started dying at idle (almost) and the sending out black smoke (barely but noticeable) once I hit the auto clutch the smoke increased.  I shut it down and looked at the exhaust and thought "wow!  That's BLACK.  Gotta be running too rich".

Funny thing, last year it was the opposite, so I changed out the fuel filter and all was well in the world again...now it's too rich.  

I've ordered filters and have the plugs already so it's time to do all that 'spring' cleaning and see where it leads me I guess.

doc henderson

stable and stihl oil will preserve, the seafoam with clean the fuel system, and preserve.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

I'll be trying to SeaFoam for sure!

Then, if that doesn't work then I'll be checking grounds.  I've done some reading and the Kholer EFI's are pretty sensitive to corrosion on grounds it seems.

Crusarius

Last year when I tried to start my mill it would not start. Naturally the first thing everyone did was tell me I blew the engine because I ran ethanol gas in it. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE!!! 

Ends up all of my vent lines had been plugged by mud daubers. Once I cleaned all the vent tubes it started and ran perfect. May want to check your vent lines?

OlJarhead

Thanks -- Yup, need to check everything as something is amiss.  I only ran it sporadically this past winter when I was testing the hydraulics, otherwise it sat without running from October on!  I really wanted to knock out some serious milling last week but will have to wait now.

My first chance to do much will be this coming weekend.

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on May 01, 2023, 04:23:35 PM
stable and stihl oil will preserve, the seafoam with clean the fuel system, and preserve.
Doc,
  So true. But a good running engine with stabil or power service in it doesn't need cleaning. 
 hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

thumbs-up  also true, but it happens!   :)

Thank You Sponsors!