iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trying to figure out what Belsaw circle mill I have

Started by Antique farm Po, May 20, 2019, 04:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antique farm Po

After more than a week of exhaustive research, I still don't know what model saw i have. The tag says 395 but I'm thinking someone put that on there for giggles and grins. Also, the PO put this saw together from a pile of pieces and i think he assembled it wrong. Standing with the blade in front of me, the carriage is on the right, but the setworks is on the far right end of the carraige. So when you would be ready to saw, you would have to walk 12' to set the thickness, then walk back. Should this carriage be on the left side of the blade or do I have to flip my mandrell and turn this all around? It is a small mill with a 33" blade. Not an m14. I saw a reference to a mini cub G but I can't find any info on that. The table is 33' 3" long. 
Thanks in advance, 
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

btulloh

HM126

Antique farm Po

I'm not sure if i said it is a Belsaw by Belsaw machinery. I really want to find info on it so i can make up a book to keep in the files. I found a Belsaw setup manual that gives alot of info. I'll try and post pics, not sure if i remember how.
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

btulloh

There are some good circle saw folks on here with a lot of knowledge and history.  It's likely one of them will recognize what you've got.
HM126

Antique farm Po

Ill attempt to add some pictures. Well, that doesn't work.
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

jimparamedic

There are directions at the bottom of the main page on how to upload photos. If as you said its a frankistien then it could be a left hand carriage on a right hand mill. You should be able to put the set works on the other end. Check these out
Belsaw build
Started by glendaler « 1 2 ... 6 »
Anyone want to talk about Belsaw Mills
Started by jimparamedic « 1 2 ... 7 »

btulloh

How to post photos on the FF

You're not the first one to have trouble.  The payoff is that photos on this forum are available forever.  That's why they are uploaded to the site itself and not some third-party photo hosting site.
HM126

btulloh

The easiest way to upload photos to your gallery is when you are posting a reply.  Down below the text entry box is a button that says "click here to add photos to post"  It will lead through the upload process (in a new window).  After the photos are uploaded, there will be a button that says "Insert Image into Post".  You will then get a pop up that asks you to confirm.  

If you are posting from your phone, it's slightly different, and I'm not the right one to go into that.   :D

It really is easy, but not necessarily the first time.
HM126

Antique farm Po

Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

Antique farm Po

Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

btulloh

You must endeavor to persevere.

I'm not sure how to help. Don't give up. Did you watch the video?

Thanks for effort to preserve history for others to see.
HM126

btulloh

HM126

jimparamedic

Looks like that carriage has been narrowed and stretched. the 3 belsaws I have a about 44" wided.I bet it will still saw. how wide and how long is it? What are you powering it with? Also at the saw blade is it a right or left hand nut holding the blade on?

Antique farm Po

I've been told I'm a persistent little bugger. And again i proved them wrong
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

Antique farm Po

The blade is held on with a rh thread. Problem solved, we flipped the arbor. We only really flipped the arbor because the PO had a v belt running on the outside of the blade for the carriage. I didn't like that. Now I have to move the transmission back about 8' so the operator can change directions. I have come to an assumption, this is a home made frame with a model 395 Belsaw carriage. The transmission was added to change the direction of the carriage after the cut. Does that sound feesible?
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

Antique farm Po

I failed to answer the other questions. If I ran it with a tractor PTO, the nut will work it's way off because the pto runs clockwise.  So I will run it with a flat belt. The table is 33'3" long. the carriage is 12' long. The frame is 27" wide. It has a 33" blade so I think for what we are doing, it will work fine. 
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

jimparamedic

Sounds like you got it figured out. How about some pictures of the trans?

DMcCoy

Some part of this sounds incorrect.

With the blade turning toward you - if the log passes on the right you have a right hand mill. On the left a left hand mill.  My right hand saw mill arbor nut is left hand threads - tightens as it runs( well doesn't loosen).
Also my mill set works is on the left side of the carriage.

What you describe sounds to me like a left hand mill(carriage set works right end, mandrel r hand thread) If so(?) your blade guides and splitter need to be reversed, as does you log deck and lumber off bearing.
Belsaw sawmills have their own 'transmission' so to speak for running the carriage. either single or double belt.

Antique farm Po

It is pretty much assembled other than moving the transmisssion. It is I think a model A trans. 1st, direct and reverse. When I get back over to the Fairgrounds, I'll take more pictures and then you can tell me how screwed up I am. Maybe unhinged is a better word.
Mark Scholten, President
Antique Farm Power Club
Home

jimparamedic

Thank You Sponsors!