The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95726 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #820 on: June 12, 2020, 10:29:21 PM »
   The best part for me is being able to remove the bandage and gently wash it good with soap and warm water then I leave it open to the air 30-45 minutes then bandage and splint it again. Hopefully that is going to be enough drying time. I guess we will see tomorrow night how much difference it made.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline jeepcj779

• "Watch this" - Famous last words
    • Share Post
« Reply #821 on: June 13, 2020, 02:39:57 AM »
H2O2 is your friend. Pour or liberally dab onto your problem areas. Might sting a bit, but it will work on the dead stuff and sanitize a bit. Dab it dry, then let it breath until it dries for a while. Works for me on damp wounds (not a doctor, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn recently). Hope you get healed up soon.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #822 on: June 13, 2020, 04:32:20 AM »
I agree on letting it dry out.  exposed to air is not dangerous, and did not cause infection. the white skin may be macerated (think wrinkled skin soaking in the bath tub)  peroxide is good for removing blood and scab.  if the one wound is open (looks like the stitches pulled out)  you do not want it in the wound as it denatures protein and can damage good tissue.  part of the finger flexion is swelling and if you try too hard it can open up the lacerations.  stitches come out usually in 10 days, and beyond that they are usually not doing much.  next week they could take them out, and then reinforce with steri strips maybe.  If one opens up, it will heal by secondary intention (scar in) and that can reduce function in a finger.  so be patient and let it air out a little more.  that's my 200 bucks worth (inflated from the usual 2 cents)  :) :) :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #823 on: June 13, 2020, 05:16:40 AM »
Did not look long at the picture, I will let others do that.  :)  I do want to wish you luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #824 on: June 13, 2020, 06:51:24 AM »
In a dumb move, not paying attention moving logs with the tractor, I backed into the corner of my lumber building hitting it on the corner with the box blade :-\.  Hurt my feelings more than it hurt the building. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #825 on: June 13, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
Ah, that will buff right out. ;D Or you could plant a bush there so you don't have to see it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline stanwelch

• Share Post
« Reply #826 on: June 13, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
 :)  I was amazed in February when I was there that it wasnt dented. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #827 on: June 13, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
In a dumb move, not paying attention moving logs with the tractor, I backed into the corner of my lumber building hitting it on the corner with the box blade :-\.  Hurt my feelings more than it hurt the building.  

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Now that you baptized it, you will probably never hit it again. :)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #828 on: June 13, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
WV, did they say anything about possible tendon damage on that middle finger?  Yeah, I would say thats getting too wet.  Are you working and getting sweaty.  Maybe you need more couch/recliner time.

Danny, the corner of my fenced yard looks just like the corner of yer building.  My old tractor had clutch issues and even though I pressed the clutch it kept on driving and the blade snagged the post.  A new corner trim piece would probably fix most of the damage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #829 on: June 13, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »
@firefighter ontheside ,

The PA did not mention any tendon damage. I think it looks better today after a little drying time last night. I showered and washed it good a while ago and am letting it dry another few minutes then I will bandage and splint them for the night. I liberally coat a non-stick pad with triple antibiotic ointment, wrap a few wraps of gauze around it then tape it. Then I put the splint back on and wrap it with an ace bandage. I don't think I ever got the gauze sweaty as I kept it wrapped until last night. I did go push mower the front yard a little last night but immediately came in and showered and washed the fingers, let them dry nearly an hour then bandaged it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #830 on: June 13, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
Howard, don't you have a neighbor you could pay to fix your rider?  I have several push mowers but they are relegated to recreational purposes only these days.

Danny, I know that dinging your shed hurt your feelings but, probably like a lot of folks on here, I have been operating tractors since I was 10 years old and I still find a way to do things like that.  I am glad you are able to get out and do stuff.

After yesterday and the night before, I have black fingernails on both hands.
Caveman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #831 on: June 13, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
Cavey,

Thanks for the concern.

I could either fix it or get my son to fix it (It is just removing 4 bolts in the spindle, putting a new one back then putting the blade on, and the belt then tightening the tension spring and ready to go - the spring I could not do now) but with the slopes and creek bank/drop-offs I mow I feel safer push mowing it myself till I have 2 working hands. I asked my PA yesterday about the vibration from the mower and she said she did not see where it would bother the fractured fingers which was my concern as the tip are pretty well protected with the bandages and the split. I don't want to try to run a weedeater yet and with the push mower I can get closer to the tight spots. I did not run a tank of gas through the push mower so it was not an extended session. I figured maybe an hour a day at sunset then go grab a shower, air out the stitches for an hour and re-bandage and re-splint.
Howard Green

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #832 on: June 14, 2020, 06:55:41 AM »
Its enough to make a person wonder if we own property or if it owns us. 
Say when

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #833 on: June 14, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
:)  I was amazed in February when I was there that it wasnt dented.
I guess that you did not see the holes in the other end where I punched through with the tractor forks :-\
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline stanwelch

• Share Post
« Reply #834 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »
 :D I didnt see the other damage.  :)   What else are you not telling me?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #835 on: June 14, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »
Boy, I did a dumb one on Friday afternoon.  The AC on the tractor wasn't working the best, and decided I should add a can of 134.  Took the cap off the compressor, and was looking to see if that was the right place to connect my hose, and touched the back of my left hand on the back of the fan.  The noise was like buzz for just a second or so, got the hand away, dropped and lost the cap, and was hoping the hand was not too badly damaged, and went ahead and put a can of freon in.  Much cooler AC.  Put the cold can against my wound, and it froze to it.  Was so sore that evening, when I went to bed, couldn't find a place to put the hand without it hurting.  Much better the next morning.  And it improved all day Saturday. I can make a fist today.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #836 on: June 14, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »
Ouch.  You didnt put your tongue on there did ya?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #837 on: June 15, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
No, didn't put my tongue on it.  The can warmed up when it was empty. Tractor was a lot more pleasant to run with just one can added.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #838 on: June 16, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »
   I went in this afternoon and the nurse practitioner on duty took out the stitches. A couple were buried pretty deep and she struggled a little to get them pulled up enough to cut then pull out. Surprisingly, to me anyway, there was more itching than pain associated with removing them. She said everything looked good and complimented the ER doc for good tight stitches to close the wound tightly. She says I can leave it open to the air at home but suggested I cover them before going out where there is more risk to getting crud in the wound to encourage more infection. Now I am just hoping the ortho doc tells me Friday I can do away with the splint.

Won't win any beauty contests but sure looks lots better than it did 13 days ago. Looks like I will lose about 1/3 of the nail off the index finger instead of the whole nail like I expected. The nail on the middle finger seems intact and the bubble/blister looking lump is where the ER doc pulled the loose skin over an open cut and it will sluff off or be absorbed I gather. I still can't bend them far but don't want to try much more till the ortho doc says okay.
Howard Green

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #839 on: June 16, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »
Looking better for sure.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
I did a dumb

Started by alan gage on General Board

14 Replies
Last post July 25, 2019, 12:13:15 PM
by alan gage