iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Quote from: Don P on June 09, 2021, 07:11:10 AM
When we were building this house I grabbed a couple of guys to help. one was an "expert" framer and was really smoking the nails home, man he was a nail driving machine. After they had left I was walking around looking at the progress, yup, he was sinking 8's  ::).
Not many men can sink a nail in 2 strikes, Larry haun could certainly though
A1

firefighter ontheside

I remember working with my dad building houses when I was a kid.  There were no air nailers around back then, at least not at that company back in the 80s.  We drove all nails by hand and I remember being in awe of the guys driving nails in 2 or 3 strikes.  I can do pretty well, but not as well as those guys who did it every day.  They'd have a handful of nails in their hand and as they were driving one nail, they were using the other hand to line up another nail just in time for the next hammer swing to hit the next nail.  

Since my dad is not a forum member, I will share his dumb thing for the day.  Mom and dad are super lucky that the only thing that died today was their boat.  They were fishing on Lake Taneycomo which is a tailwater behind Table Rock Lake in Branson MO.  When they are running lots of water thru the dam, the lake is a very fast moving river.  They will often drift in the current and fish and then motor back up to drift the same spot again.  Well, today they started the motor to move back up stream and must have hit a rock or log on the bottom.  The boat quickly got spun around in the current and then broadsided the bridge pier.  Dad says the boat is totaled.  He's had that boat in immaculate condition since he bought it new in 1997.  It's a 17' Lund.  Again, super lucky they didn't swamp and drown.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Thankfully your Parents are OK.  As for the boat, that scratch will buff out!!!  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JJ

Only a Lund will take a hit like that, and not be torn in pieces.   I bet it still floats.
I have owned several Lunds and hulls are much thicker/rugged than most any other Al boat I have seen.

JJ

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

aigheadish

Ouch @firefighter ontheside ! It took me a minute to understand what I was looking at there but it's, like, a big side of boat! That sucks! I at first thought it was a bumper of something but then I understood. No good!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

Man that sucks, been there and fished that a couple times. That Lund is still worth some money and may be worth the repair.

trimguy

Do I even need to say anything.

welderskelter

Trimguy. Not familiar with your mill I looked and didnt see anything bad. So, I quess you got away with it. :D

WV Sawmiller

Trimguy,

I'm sure glad I never did anything like that. ::) Besides, everybody needs a long wedge or two laying around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I talked to my dad this morning.  He thinks the boat will be totalled.  He will take it to the dealer on Monday and have the insurance adjuster come and look at it.  It indeed still floats and wasn't even leaking.  They are built tough.  That boat has done a lot of fishing on rough water and was still very tight.  Definitely some tough aluminum in the Lund boats and put together well.

@trimguy that looks a good doorstopper.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moosehunter

@trimguy I did that last week. My off bearer of the day just put it in the loader arms for triming. I pulled him aside and explained that he was to promptly put things like that in the slab pile, preferably a few slabs deep!! 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

trimguy

No damage to the mill, maybe a little to the ego. Maybe tule peak needs a stop for one of his doors.😁 it still was a good day, I got to play with the mill and I made 2- 2 x 14 x 24' that I needed (among other things) I was a little worried to start with because a had to do it without an extension. I didn't screw them up

Old Greenhorn

FFOTS I saw this yesterday and it tore my heart out. Glad all are OK, that's the main thing. Lund makes such beautiful and strudy hulls and this is a testament to that I like Starcraft too, but the rivets system on Lunds seem to be bullet proof compared to starcraft (and I like starcrafts too, but have been in several that develop leaky rivets with hard use on strong waters).
I think that boat is salvagable for sure, but cost of repairs to make it like new will probably have it 'totaled' I think. Still if I could get my hands on that I surely would make it seaworthy, but it would never be 'pretty' again.
Just really glad your folks got through that OK.
Trimguy, all I can say is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. Dang toe boards, always in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

Called my customer last night to confirm that I'd be showing up about 7:30 this morning. All seemed good. Then I rolled in at about 7:20 this morning and not a soul was stirring. I called to let them know that I was there and the lady said she would be right out. So, she shows up in her bath robe and socks and says, I thought you were coming next month. That's when I realized that I had put them in my calendar for June 10 instead of July 10 🙈🙈🙈 as they had made specific arrangements to mill on a Saturday since her husband works out of town during the week. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Quote from: trimguy on June 10, 2021, 09:42:07 AM

Do I even need to say anything.
Now if you had two of those you could place them on the outside of the log loader arms and avoid that last hurrah on getting a log onto the loading arms.  There are uses for those oops cuts.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

@Crossroads so what did you do with your day?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crossroads

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 11, 2021, 08:16:42 AM
@Crossroads so what did you do with your day?
Picked up supplies to change the oil in the wife's car and my truck. Picked up some mortar and did a little project at home to move a man door from under the eve of the shop. Went to a friends house, visited and drank coffee. Came home and moved dirt to a location where I'm going to build a cabin for the Woodmizer contest. Finally, I took my wife to an early anniversary dinner. But, on the way to dinner we picked up a 25# chunk of beef and a couple of summer sausage kits.  I probably should have gone fishing, but these projects have been on my mind. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

Sounds like a good day to not have a sawmill job.  I just closed yesterday on the purchase of some land across the road from my house.  It will be about 4.5 acres after we split it with the neighbor.  Someday I will build a shop over there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 11, 2021, 04:31:56 PM
Sounds like a good day to not have a sawmill job.  I just closed yesterday on the purchase of some land across the road from my house.  It will be about 4.5 acres after we split it with the neighbor.  Someday I will build a shop over there.
HEY! Congratulations!!! That's a big deal and will be a huge benefit when you have the shop built (and also make for another good thread as we follow along). Best of luck with that addition!
---------
OK, now it's come around to my turn again. Today was an off day and I had some family issues on my mind that had me pretty angry and mad at the entire world. I didn't get much sleep last night and got up too early. Just an all around bad attitude on my part. So I got out in the shop to start rebuilding that 350 Husky all the while thinking about this problem and getting madder as time goes on. I pulled out the new parts and checked fit and finish, all looked good. I assembled the piston and ring, put the head gasket in place, stick the piston on the connecting rod, then nursed the cylinder over the piston and could get the piston almost in with the ring using my finger nails, but not quite. So I stopped and made a compression tool out of a plastic coffee can strip and a hose clamp. That worked fine but I could still not get the whole thing to slide in with gentle tapping with a soft mallet. After ten minutes of futzing with it, I finally took out the c-clips and knocked out the wrist pin because I could not pull the cylinder off. Now I could see what I was doing better. So well in fact that I could see clearly that I had put the ring in upside down and it was jamming up on the anti-rotation pin. I ruined the ring, did some minor damage to the piston groove and no harm to the cylinder. But the ring is trash. SO I make a call to Spike60 to see if he has a ring, and sure enough he does. So I added a visit to my chore list and picked it up along the route. As long as I was there, I also picked up some oil and filters my logger buddy needed, night as well make the drive worthwhile. It's good to have a local shop to compensate for my dumb moves. Boy did I feel stupid. I don't do this work very often and I should not have started on it with the mood and state of mind I was in. But that's no excuse.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

Yeah, things tend to go downhill in a hurry at that point. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Crossroads

Congratulations firefighter! I'd really like to buy the 16 acres that boarders our 20, but I simply don't have the money for today's prices 🙈 we got ours 3 years ago for $3400/acre now it would be north of 10k/acre. I'm afraid if I approach the the owner, I'll put ideas in his head and I'll end up with another Nieghbor. Yes, it was a good day to not have a milling job and it felt good to get some stuff done. 

firefighter ontheside

Thanks @Crossroads .  We had to pay 3700 per acre, which is really more than its worth in that area, but to keep it from selling to someone who might make it an eyesore was really priceless.

Thanks @Old Greenhorn I'm excited about it.  We will move slowly with using it, but its really nice to know that we are in control of what happens over there.  Never have to worry about someone moving in there.  I think the first thing I will do is make an entrance into the property directly across from my driveway.  If I put some rock in there I can use the entrance to pull into with my camper on and then be able to back straight across and into my driveway instead of backing off of the road and turning into the driveway.  Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to get the turn just right, especially depending which direction I'm coming from.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

I bought back some of The Farm just for that reason. 
I really don't make a good neighbor. Up in the morning making noise with something, tractor, sawmill, trimmer, mower, chainsaw, did I miss anything?  ;D Than late at night, repeat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!