iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

So I asked my wife to help me saw today.... after a while she had a comment. She said watching me saw she was learning a lot of " things"....how to do things, and how "not!" to do things. ::)  I maybe wasted 30 minutes trying to load a short log I failed to have staged correctly..  She made fun of me a little.... :-[

I still was glad for her help....

firefighter ontheside

I wasn't even finished doing this thing and I already thought to myself I was going to have to post here.  I was backing the tractor into the mill carport and at the same time I was raising the forks.  I guess I was paying too much attention to backing and not enough to what my right hand was doing.  Well, it was still raising the forks...as high as they would go.  I heard a metal on metal crash and looking back to the front to see that I had smashed the front of the carport with the forks.  It was mostly fixed within 20 minutes and a couple walks to the shop for ladder, drill and bits.  Still a little ripple in the metal trim piece, but I won't tell anyone if you guys don't.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

That might be a good spot to hang the flag. ;D
You're not alone FFOTS, if I had a dollar for all the mishaps I've seen involving raised tractor loaders or forklifts... ::)

Had a blade on my mill sawing yesterday start making the dreaded tick - tick noise. You would think the smart thing to do is change blades right then, right? ???

Nope, just kept sawing. Tick - tick - tick - (guess what came next...) BANG! :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Lasershark

Quote from: Resonator on May 23, 2023, 01:50:50 PM
You're not alone FFOTS, if I had a dollar for all the mishaps I've seen involving raised tractor loaders or forklifts... ::)

Had a blade on my mill sawing yesterday start making the dreaded tick - tick noise. You would think the smart thing to do is change blades right then, right? ???

That's a gullet crack, discussed in detail in this thread: Gullet cracks
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

aigheadish

FFOTS- I feel you on bending new metal. My barn was built and I went out to dig a drainage ditch around it, then fill it in. Brand new $50k+ barn and I ran the backhoe into it several time trying to get too close. I've also made a mess of one of the sliding door tracks. I think I can fix it but it'll have to be removed and hammered out. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Chuck White

FFOTS, I'm not being picky but then again, yes I am.

The first thing I noticed in that pic was the US flag displayed incorrectly.

Whether hanging horizontally or vertically, the union (blue field with stars) is supposed to be in the upper left corner!

I guess that was instilled in me over the time in the military!

Other than that, good to hear there wasn't more damage done!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Chuck, to be fair, you can't tell from the photo which end of that shelter is the front, so it may in fact be displayed correctly. I have seen so many egregious examples of poor flag display that this one is completely minor, if in fact it really is incorrect.
 The ones that really kill me are the businesses and private homes that hang a flag out 24/7 with no lighting and no care. It hangs until it falls apart, rain, snow, darkness, whatever. I have a sore spot on this issue also, since I was a kid. I had been known to take down flags on homes, fold them (properly) and lay them by the front door with a note on why I took it down and a booklet from the USMC on flag etiquette. But I got caught once when somebody thought I was stealing their ragged and tattered flag. An argument ensued, the cops were called, and I got in real hot water with my folks. BTW, the responding Officer was a Marine and was pretty sympathetic when he saw the note and pamphlet I had ready to leave with the flag. No charges filed, the flag did NOT go back up (it got replaced) and the Officer explained to the homeowner that although my methods were wrong, my intent was spot on. He kind of made the homeowner feel a little silly.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Chuck it is good for you to comment if you thought it may be incorrect.  occasionally I have had our flag get ragged, and a fellow scout leader makes a respectful comment.  I do know on uniforms the flag patch on the sleeves are oriented as if the wearer is carrying a flag on a staff and running forward.  I know most if not all FF members are generally patriotic and we thank all military past and present as well as first responders.  

United States Flag Code - Wikipedia
Position and Manner of Displaying the Flag (flagcenter.com)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

OGH I like your post.

While reading the post from FFOTS, I did note that he was backing into the carport, so that was my starting point.

It's just one of those things that I am quick to notice when a flag is displayed incorrectly.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

firefighter ontheside

While the flag can be viewed from both sides, I suppose that it is seen more from my driveway side.  As for me, I see just as often from either side.  My mill is directly behind the flag.   My carport is not visible from the road and the flag hangs for me to see.  I will change it around though, because you are correct.  We have a very large flag that we hang from our ladder truck sometimes.  We have had people tell us it is hanging incorrectly.  There is no wrong or right way when the flag is displayed from the ladder and it is just as visible from one side or the other.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: Resonator on May 23, 2023, 01:50:50 PM

Congratulations on getting the very last bit of mileage available in that blade.
Now you don't have to wonder how much longer it would have lasted had you changed it earlier.
Hope it wasn't too challenging to replace.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

aigheadish

Nonpolitical, but there's a house I drive past just about every day that has 2 flags hanging from poles off a post on their porch. An American and a Ukrainian. 

I wouldn't be mentioning it here if the correct one was on top. I don't see the homeowners outside very often, and I've never met them, but I've almost stopped a few times to correct it. 

I asked my kids, separately, what was wrong with those flags. My older son (16) didn't know, my younger daughter (14) did.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

Sadly, if we parents are not careful, they may be taught to hate the country and our symbols in school.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

That's the other flag I display.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

QuoteCongratulations on getting the very last bit of mileage available in that blade.
It had been to resharp and back already, so I got my moneys worth out of it. The main reason I posted was to caution sawyers out there that when it starts the dreaded tick - tick - tick noise, change the blade, or watch out for what comes next... :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

FactorySeconds

firefighter ontheside

Well, its the Ukrainian flag.  Never heard of Silesia.  Looked it up and they essentially have the same flag.  Ukraine is blue on top and yellow bottom.  Silesia is reversed.  When hanging the Ukrainian flag vertically its supposed to be blue to the left.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

I carried this flag over unfriendly soil and later it was flown over The Capitol. Now she hangs in my mill shed, it's the only lit area on the farm at night. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I dare someone to say that ain't pretty.  smiley_bull_stomp
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

What I don't like, is the blue or red line on the flag nowadays.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

FactorySeconds

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 24, 2023, 05:30:37 PM
Well, its the Ukrainian flag.  Never heard of Silesia.  Looked it up and they essentially have the same flag.  Ukraine is blue on top and yellow bottom.  Silesia is reversed.  When hanging the Ukrainian flag vertically its supposed to be blue to the left.
That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up!

TimW

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 25, 2023, 06:22:00 AM
What I don't like, is the blue or red line on the flag nowadays.
Or blacked out stripes with some other message over the stripes.
                  hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

better to have a larger us flag on top and then a smaller flag supporting the police or POWs just below.

FactorySeconds

This was a couple of weeks ago and has since been replaced but...

I was running the trucut96 mill through the motions as we hadn't run it in a couple of weeks. I get to the up/down functions and there was a slight resistance, I looked up and couldn't see anything wrong. As soon as I re-engaged *BANG* and the head came crashing down.

The gear housing completely broke apart. The cause? A Robins nest. An opportunistic bird took the mills downtime to build a nest on the sprocket. It was strong enough to create enough pressure between the sprocket and chain to totally destroy the housing. 

Not a cheap fix.

Needless to say, a wildlife check has been added to the morning rituals.

TimW

Ouch!
     hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!